As I was running a few errands at The District here in Vegas, I stumbled upon an amazing farmers market! There was a wide variety of locally grown produce and specialty products. A package of edible flowers immediately caught my eye. I’ve seen a lot of recipes lately that feature these florals, but I wasn’t sure where to actually find them. Even though I didn’t have a specific recipe in mind, I decided to get a couple of boxes. Originally I was thinking about making ice cubes, popsicles or garnish for a cake, but ultimately I decided on decorating doughnuts!
I bought some plain cake doughnuts from a local bakery and then made my own grapefruit glaze. After dipping the doughnuts, I topped them with the various petals. It was fun to make different patterns and mix the pretty colors. I’ve never eaten flowers before, so I wasn’t sure what to expect, but they added a unique, subtle flavor. I definitely want to experiment with more edible flower recipes.
Grapefruit-Glazed Doughnuts with Edible Flowers
- 6 – 8 plain cake doughnuts (I used store-bought)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. meringue powder
- 3 – 4 Tbsp. freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 package edible flowers (petals only)
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, meringue powder and grapefruit juice until combined. The mixture should be pretty thick, so add more powdered sugar or meringue powder until glaze becomes more opaque.
- Dip plain doughnut into the glaze and place on wire rack to dry (be sure to place a paper towel underneath!). If too much of the glaze absorbs into the doughnut, dip it again to create another coat. While glaze is still wet, top with flower petals.
Adri Cisneros says
Those donuts are almost too pretty to eat! They look and sound amazing!
Treats and Trends says
Thanks, Adri! :)