Summer is the perfect time to take a weekend road trip and explore local and regional gems, whether it’s a great restaurant or a scenic hiking trail. Living in Las Vegas, we have numerous destinations within a five-hour driving radius. To the west we have San Diego for a beach retreat while up north we can explore the forested hiking trails in Zion National Park. We want to take advantage of this convenient location and experience as many unique places as possible.
Packing for a weekend trip can be challenging if you haven’t planned out every activity and restaurant. The best way to be prepared for any occasion is to bring versatile pieces that can be dressed up or down and can be mixed and matched. These are a few of my packing essentials for a weekend getaway:
- White v-neck t-shirt. I love a basic tee because it can easily be dressed up or down, creating a simple, sophisticated look. Plus, chances are it will match all of the bottoms you packed.
- Gray tank. This is another piece that is versatile and can be interchanged with the v-neck. Pair it with shorts and sandals for an easy ensemble.
- Simple, black dress. There’s a reason why every woman should own a LBD – they are elegant and create an instant outfit. For day, pair it with your shades and throw your hair in a top knot; for night, add a statement necklace and let your hair down in beachy waves.
- Floral skirt. This floral, asymmetrical skirt can be worn for both daytime excursions and a night out on the town. It’s trendy and easily paired with both tops.
- Denim shorts. An obvious favorite because they are comfy, casual and neutral. For an unexpected look, dress up the distressed denim and a basic tee with a colorful statement necklace.
- Neutral tote. Since you’ll be living out of a suitcase, it’s ideal to have a large tote that carries all of your essentials (sunglasses, sunscreen, wallet, camera, etc.). A neutral-colored bag that matches the other pieces you packed will make it easy to grab and go.
- Classic sandals. Flat sandals that are comfortable to walk in are a must. For maximum packing efficiency, it helps if they match your casual outfits, but also look dressy enough for a nice restaurant.
- Aviators. These stylish shades make any outfit look effortlessly put together. They will also come in handy if you are doing some outdoor sightseeing.
- Statement necklace. This is the easiest way to fancy up a basic tee or dress. Add the stand-out accessory to your basic ensemble and you have an entirely new outfit!
- Straw fedora. No time to wash your hair before your next activity? A stylish straw hat and side braid can fix that!