It’s the LAST DAY of my no shopping challenge! I can honestly say I’ve purchased ZERO clothing items! My challenge to you this week is to try a monochromatic look. Last week I talked about fashion rules and how some are meant to be broken. Wearing white after Labor Day is definitely one of them! Winter whites can be so soft and pretty, especially when wearing ivory tones. Since I live by the beach it seems like white is appropriate to wear year-round. I paired my white skinny jeans with a white lace top for a feminine look. However your monochrome look doesn’t have to be all white. Black and grey are easy “colors” to work with, too, especially if you live in a colder climate (check out this post to see how I styled an all black outfit). Here are a few things to keep in mind when putting together a monochromatic outfit:
- Mix textures. I like mixing smooth items like faux leather leggings with something that has more texture, like a knit sweater or lace blouse. Since the color in your outfit is consistent, this combination adds some interest.
- Play with proportions. If you’re wearing a bold color, stick with sleek, streamlined proportions—this will be most flattering. However, if you’re wearing neutrals, like black, you could play around with different shapes. Just remember to keep them balanced! A sweater that has statement sleeves, for example, is best paired with skinny jeans or leggings because they balance out the voluminous top.
- Select a flattering color that suits your skin tone. Don’t go all-out in a color that is unflattering. You don’t want to be one blob of color, so stick with a hue that complements your skin tone and doesn’t compete with it.
- Add accessories. I finished off this look with a pair of white statement earrings. Your bag, belt, shoes and scarf could also be the same color as your clothes. However, for this look I couldn’t resist adding my blush pink purse! It still fits with the light, pastel color family so I figured it was okay to bend the monochromatic rule.
- Have fun with it! Play around with different colors and combinations, there’s no right or wrong outfit! Try some things on even if you’re unsure about how they’ll look together. Worst case you just take them off and try again, but you might be surprised by how stylish some pieces are together when you think outside of the box!
[one_half padding=”0 10px 0 0″][/one_half] [one_half_last padding=”0 0 0 10px”][/one_half_last]
Well done for sticking to your shopping ban! This is such a beautiful outfit, I LOVE your top!
Candice @ Beauty Candy Loves says
I love anything thats lace! Its so pretty and feminine
Candice | Beauty Candy Loves
Treats and Trends says
Thanks, Candice! Me too :)
Dressed With Soul says
This white on white look is absolutely wonderful!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
Jamie Kamber says
Thank you, Rena!